Monday, July 2, 2012

Assignment #6- Part 2



My intervention is based on my feelings toward society's tendencies to worship celebrities and anything that has to do with them. It always bothered me how all a celebrity has to do is stick their name onto a product, and suddenly that product starts selling. The most blatant example of celebrity marketing, in my eyes, is perfumes. There are many celebrities from around the world who have their own brand of fragrance (Beyonce, Britney Spears, Usher, etc.) and it bothers me that people actually buy such things. What makes their fragrances better than other perfume brands? Is it because its their fragrance, meaning that by using it you could smell like them? I always liked to joke that the perfume brand smells like the celebrities themselves, and when you use it, you will think you smell just like them (when in reality the scent is no different from other perfumes.)

I decided that my intervention would be a Perfume Parody Commercial, where the product I am selling- "Aroma Famous"- is a perfume brand that can make you smell like any celebrity you have always wanted to be like. I am basically poking fun at how people put celebrities on such a high pedestal and how 'smelling like them' or having something in their name makes them feel special about themselves. And it is not just Celebrity brands, but any perfume or beauty product in general. Does donning a product, such as celebrity perfume, really get you a better life? Or do you simply enjoy the feeling of having something branded by a celebrity, and it makes you feel good about yourself? I feel that it is rather silly of people to believe that by putting on some sort of beauty product it makes them physically better, when in reality they look like fools for gushing over a product that simply has a famous name on it. That is the problem I find with products like the perfumes I am making fun of: it is all about the name.

If I had the proper materials to make a more believable commercial and to even make a sample of the product, I would show the commercial as a joke on late night television: such as Adult Swim on Cartoon Network or Comedy Central. I will choose these stations because the commercial is merely meant as a joke, and therefore should be shown on channels that are known to dish out jokes. I would even ask to play the commercial on April Fools on different stations, just to see how many people actually believe it to be real, which just proves my point that one can easily sell a product just by sticking a famous name on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment